Saturday, January 14, 2012

Great Grains Batman!

So the hubs and I have been trying new grains.  Some we've tried before but put down for budgeting reasons.  We picked them back up when we decided to revamp the budget to include foods higher in nutrition and less fattening.   Here is our introduction. 
9 Grain Hot Cereal. 
I thought it would be a nice change from the same old oatmeal.  It's OK.  Not mind-blowing or anything.  I may have to find other ways of using it in a recipe.

Farina Wheat

One of my favorites.  I have it for breakfast often and also us it when baking.  Even use it in pizza crust.

Millet
This one is not new to the husband but I think I'm a bigger fan than he is.  I like it cooked, cooled and then added to yogurt as a snack.   Also it's good as a substitute for rice.

Couscous
We eat this one a lot.  Mostly when we have fish.  Great in all ways as far as I'm concerned.

Quinoa
I can't say how much I love this in a cold salad.  I cook it in a large quantity and then refrigerate it.  On a rushed work morning, I toss in beans, tomatoes, avocado, vinegar and a little olive oil for a quick brown bag lunch. 

There will be more additions but we need to make use of this before going out and buying more.  Next up: amaranth grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment